Thursday 14 April 2016

Phew, just organised my first practice OSCE station (Where you are put in a clinical situation with actors and need to work accordingly) for my year (4th year currently) - it was rather harder work than I thought it would be at the start, and I'll probably still wake up sweating for a few days.

Nonetheless I am really grateful to everyone's participation, including those in my year who treated it well (and adapted to a few of my lapses), two thyroid clinicians (Paul Dent and Dominic Pritchard), and Josephine Saramunda (a 3rd year), who all volunteered at very short notice to fill in when some of the patient-actors and examiners who could not make it.

Several points for me:
- I need a little more assistance next time, there were a few snags on the day which I didn't quite adapt to so well.
- The sheets need more proof-reading, as there were a few inconsistencies that became apparent.
- The actors felt they needed a little more time to prepare.
- A few people suggested a little more feed-back time, as it was an informal event.
- Some of the stations, particularly in neurology were a little too specific and maybe beyond 4th year level.

Nonetheless, of the three rounds I did, the last one ran pretty smoothly, and in the feedback the participants graded it positively 4.5 out of 5, so with a little more organisation the next one (eeep) should be even better.

The scenarios were:


Round 1
Upper limb exam Syringomyelia
Acute neurology hx Delerium tremens
Msk hx + exam Hand arthritis

Round 2
Cranial nerve exam Parietal stroke
GUM history Sexual history
Endocrine hx + viva Medication review

Round 3
Thyroid exam Thyroid exam
Acute neurology Seizure + DVLA
Hearing hx + exam Drug induce Hearing loss

No comments:

Post a Comment